Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sausage Cheese Grits

The first time I had this was in Palm Desert and my sister and I begged for the recipe. This recipe seemed like comfort food to us, even though we never ate grits growing up!

You can adapt this recipe for vegetarians, personal likes, or what meats and vegetables you have in the fridge. I once made this when I was short on sausage, so I added a bacon and mushrooms to add more flavor.


























Sausage Cheese Grits Casserole
8 oz of Morning Sausage or any meat sausage
1/4 chopped red onion
1/4 chopped bell pepper
3/4 cup of quick cooking grits uncooked
4 oz sharp cheddar shredded
2 eggs beaten
salt and pepper to taste
2 oz sharp cheddar cheese sprinkled on top

Directions:
Saute the chopped onions, bell pepper, and sausage in a fry pan with a little oil until golden and sausage is cooked.

Cook grits according to the instructions on the box.

Combine sausage mixture, with grits, 4 oz of cheese, eggs, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour mixture into an oiled baking dish, then place in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden on top.

Serve with salad or fruit.

Enjoy,
Jamie

1 comment: