Thursday, November 3, 2011

Brussel Sprouts

My family never had brussel sprouts on the table growing up and I knew they had a reputation of tasting horrible, so I avoided them. Within the last year I have grown very fond of them and even crave them now!


Brussel sprouts are now in season and you can buy them in these large stocks at Trader Joes! They are a part of the cabbage family, but they don't taste like it.  Brussel sprouts are easy to prepare and taste nutty and earthy after roasting them--which is my go to way of cooking them, but they are great sauteed with bacon like my friend Kate makes.


Roasted Brussel Sprouts
1/2 lbs of brussel sprouts
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 lemon wedge

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line a cooking sheet pan with tin foil.

Cut brussel sprouts in half from top to bottom and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Line halfs face down of cookie sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden. Then flip them over and cook for another 12 minutes or until golden. Sprinkle with lemon juice and serve.

Enjoy!
Jamie

2 comments:

  1. The only brussel spouts I tasted as a child were canned or frozen- pretty disgusting. Years later I ate fresh ones, steamed with butter, lemon & parm, very yum. I think they are the forgotten veggie, but they are making a big comeback. Chances are you'll find brussel sprouts on my Thanksgiving table this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They'll be on my Thanksgiving table too Suzie! Thanks, Jamie, for posting the recipe. You can help me make 'em when you come. :o)

    ReplyDelete