Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Skin Deep

This past spring I took a sustainability workshop series through Sustainable Works and one website I now frequent is Skin Deep. Skin Deep discusses the health and safety impacts of cosmetics ranging from eye drops to sunscreen to deodorant to makeup to soap, etc. Their website is user friendly and you can search by company or product or chemical.

This image shows you some of the harmful effects of products that females use every morning.


Some of the products I had in my house were considered "high hazard" like carmex chapstick and Essie nail polish, so once they ran out, I consulted this website to find low or moderate hazard products. I do take into consideration price point and how easy it is find new products when shopping, so usually I write out a few options and see what my local store has.

One of the challenges is finding safe products that are the equivalent of the products I used to have, but usually I can find it within the first or second try! Have you used Skin Deep before?

Warmly,
Jamie

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I saved the website in my Favorites list and will definitely explore the info there.

    ReplyDelete