Sunday, October 2, 2011

Barley & Almond Pilaf

Fall is nipping at my toes a.k.a almost 75 degrees in LA... A recipe I enjoyed when growing up was barley & almond pilaf, so I decided to see if I still liked it! I accompanied the pilaf with lemon wine chicken and roasted squash. The pilaf was great with its' depth of flavor and made me nostalgic of being young and would go great with a Thanksgiving feast! You could easily alter this recipe for guests with dietary restrictions like vegans, vegetarian, gluten free, etc.


Recipe courtesy of my mom:
1 cup dried pearl barley
3 T EVOO
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 small onion chopped
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped green onion
3 cups of chicken broth or veggie broth
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Lightly brown almonds in EVOO, then set aside. Saute onions until clear, then add barley and lightly brown. Place browned almonds, onion, barley, parsley, green onions, salt, & pepper in a oiled casserole dish. **This can in advance and placed in the fridge overnight.

Pre-heat oven to 375. Heat broth until boiling, pour over barley mixture, then stir. Cook uncovered in oven for 60 minutes and enjoy!

Warmly,
Jamie

3 comments: